San sebastian in shape
San Sebastian is a city that seems to have been designed especially to practise sport: running, cycling, walking, swimming, surfing, rowing... But don't worry, it also offers lots of opportunities for all those who prefer to be spectators more than participants.
From first thing in the morning till late in the evening, both in winter as well as in the summer, along La Concha promenade or by the river bank. Anywhere and everywhere it is very easy to go pass many runners, on their own or in small groups. Others go to work, to college or to do the shopping on their bikes. People of all ages go to the beach for a swim every single day of the year, whatever the weather. Some prefer to do some exercise rowing around the bay or along the river.
Nevertheless, for all those who want some intimacy and prefer to practise sport indoors, San Sebastian also offers several sport centres with top of the range facilities.
So, let's leave out for a minute all those kilometres of “bidegorri” (bicycle paths), forget about the bike, the running or the skating, and let's see about sport facilities and organisations in and around San Sebastian:
1) Sport's Area of Anoeta: Among all the facilities includes Anoeta's Football Stadium, home for Real Sociedad de Futbol (San Sebastian's first team), which is a First Division team in the BBVA Spanish League; the Sports Centre and Swimming Pools Paco Yoldi; the Sports Centre J.A. Gasca; Carmelo Balda Basque Pelota Court; Basque Atano III Pelota Court; Antonio Elorza Cycling Track; Ice-Skating Rink Txuri-Urdin and Anoeta's Athletics Field.
2) Municipal Sports Centres: There is one in each of San Sebastian's neighbourhoods. Some of them include swimming pools, gym, fitness room, climbing wall, indoor tennis courts, paddel tennis courts, squash courts...
3) Real Club de Tenis of San Sebastian: Located at the end of Ondarreta Beach. It is the venue for the International Tennis Competition which takes place in August every year.
4) Surf Schools: Mainly found in La Zurriola Beach, where most of surf lovers get together. However, on very bad weather days, when the sea is really rough, you can also find surfers in La Concha or even in the river mouth.
5) San Sebastian's Racecourse: It is located in the nearby town of Lasarte. During the summer months there are races every week, being the most important San Sebastian's Gold Cup.
6) Sport Clubs: The most important are: C.D. Fortuna, San Sebastian's Atletic Club and C.D. Bera-Bera. All of them offer short courses both in the summer as well as in the winter.
7) Golf Courses: The Real Golf Club of San Sebastian, it is an 18 hole golf course situated in the nearby town of Hondarribia. The Golf de Goiburu is a 9 hole course situated in Andoain, also very close by. Finally, Golf Basozabal, an 18 hole course is located at about 4 kms from San Sebastian.
8) Thalassotherapy: And to show you that being healthy doesn't have to be exhausting, we suggest a bit of relaxation while looking at the sea in one of the most prestigous thalassotherapies centres you may find: La Perla. It has several therapeutic circuits with sea water, massage rooms, gym, sauna, and even a fabulous restaurant.